Invalid XML Error in Outlook | Three Perfect Solutions
There are lots of users who are very dependent on MS Outlook and they refused to use another email client if they face some issue. But there is some Outlook issue which is so frustrating so when it appears, then one gets to live with it or even find a workaround. And on that issue invalid XML error in Outlook.
It is such a type of error that it can’t ignore because it will affect the whole Outlook program. Basically in this error users are not able to start Microsoft Outlook. And in the error, there is further mentions that there is an Invalid XML and the view that can’t be loaded.
So, if you are facing this mind-scratching issue and really want to resolve it, then you are in the right place. Here on this blog, we are going to discuss how to resolve cannot start Outlook invalid XML error. But before go toward the blog let first understand what is the real issue and what is XML error in Outlook.
What is an Invalid XML Error?
Well, the error appears as “Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. Invalid XML, the view cannot be loaded.” And the most frustrating part is that it does not provide any troubleshooting options. Also, the application will close when you click on the OK button. Hence, most of the users are not able to fix this Outlook application.
Reasons Behind Invalid XML Error in Outlook 2016, 2019, 2013
Well, there are various causes that can trigger this Invalid XML error. And here in this section, we covered the most common ones.
- Error in navigation pane because it is stored in the XML and if you have edited the XML file, then you encounter this error.
- Corruption of hard drives or corruption in the Outlook PST file is also the reason for this invalid XML error in Outlook.
- Running an Outdated Version of Outlook may lead you to this error.
How to fix the Invalid XML Error?
We know we know about the error and the reason for the error so, let’s move forward toward the solution to fix this error. And here in this section, we are going to discuss some of the best workarounds to fix the same.
#Method 1: Reset Navigation Pane
As we said above that, the error in the navigation pane setting is the reason for this error. Here in this section, we are going to show you the manual method to reste the navigation pane settings
1. First, press the Windows+R key to open the Run window.
2. Now, in the Run window, enter or paste the below command
3. Outlook.exe /resetnavpane’
4. Run Outlook again, to check out the issue is resolved or not.
#Method 2: Delete Corrupt XML File
Well, if resetting the navigation pane didn’t fix the issue, then there may be a possibility that the XML file is corrupt, and Outlook is neither able to read it nor reset it. So, here in this section, we are going to show you the Manual method to delete the file, and once you restart the Outlook then it will lead to the creation of a new XML file with default settings.
1. First, Windows+R keys on the keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
2. In the run box, paste “%appdata%\Microsoft\Outlook” and press Enter.
3. This will open the Windows Explorer window and take you to the Outlook configuration directory.
4. You would find an XML file under this location most probably by the name “Outlook.xml”.
5. Delete this XML file and Restart Outlook.
#Method 3: Repair Outlook Data File
If you are still getting this issue, then there is a chance that there is some corruption in your Outlook PSt file. So, to repair the Outlook data file corruption you can use the Outlook inbuilt inbox repair tool “ScanPST” and to this follow the below steps:
Note: First you have to locate the ScanPST.exe
For Outlook 2007
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
For Outlook 2010
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
For Outlook Outlook 2010 64 bit
C:\Program Files (86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
For Outlook 2013
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15
For Outlook 2016
64-bit Windows C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16
1. Now, browse your PST file
2. After that, click on the Start button the begin the process
3. If the scan finds the error then click on the Repair button to start the fixing process
Best Alternative Way to Repair the Outlook PST File
If the inbox repair tool not working or failed to repair the corruption of the Outlook file which is usually, occurs, then you can try the Outlook Recovery Toolkit This repair utility is the best option to repair the corrupted Outlook file. The tool can easily repair highly corrupted PST files without any data loss.
In fact, this tool gives you the option to retrieve lost or deleted data from Outlook. The tool also offers the option to repair password-protected PST files.
Well, this is the end of the blog, here in this blog we have discussed Invalid XML Error in Outlook that prevents the Outlook program not to from open. Here we have tried to explain all the reason and cause that is responsible for this error. In addition, we have covered all the possible solutions to fix this issue.