Appearance of Data Protection Manager in Exchange Server
May 24th, 2017 |
About DPM (Data Protection Manager):
DPM is abbreviation for Data Protection Manager. It is an enterprise based backup system, to backup data from location of source to destination location on DPM server. With the appearance of Data Protection Manager in Exchange Server, you can generate both incremental backups and full backups.If any time the data that was previously protected suddenly got disappeared. In that case, DPM can be used to restore the data back to the location of source from secondary location. DPM possess a feature of maintaining backup data of application from workloads and Microsoft servers. It also backup file data from client computers and servers.
Preconditions to deploy the DPM in Exchange Server:
There are some required conditions that are mandatory to configure DPM with Exchange Server database. Some other points are elaborated as follows:
- At the starting point, make sure that the ESE.DLL and ESEUTIL.EXE files should be installed on the Exchange Server and DPM server as well.
- The same version should be used on both the files. For example: If there is 32 bit downloaded to Exchange Server then same should be installed on ESEUTIL, ESE and DPM server as well.
- In case of requirement of any kind of update in ESEUTIL and ESE, it becomes compulsory to install the update on both the servers.
- The location for ESEUTIL and ESE files are as follows:
— For Exchange Server 2016:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V16\Bin
— For Exchange Server 2013
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin
— For Exchange Server 2010:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Bin
- Installation of Visual C++ is required with upgraded or latest version.
- It is required to download the DPM at a node to protect the DAG(Database Availability Groups) nodes of Exchange. A single DPM can only protect a single node at a time.
- The minimum frequency for synchronization must be changed in 15 minutes.
Appearance of Data Protection Manager in Exchange Server with Benefits :
There are ample amount of benefits that can be gained after incorporating Data Protection Manager in Exchange Server. Some of them are mentioned below:
- No additional or advanced database server is required after deploying the DPM Server.
- Provides easy restoration during any calamity.
- Facilitates with the backup of entire workloads like as Exchange Server, Hypervisor, File Server, SQL Server etc.
- In comparison to 14 days native backup retention policy, it save the backup data of Exchange for a long time.
Tasks performed by Data Protection Manager
The following tasks can be performed with Data Protection Manager:
Backup Data: You can easily recover and backup data from Windows Servers, Client Systems and further supporting Microsoft applications.
Store Data: Ability to store the backup data to different types of storage like disk, tape and Microsoft Azure cloud.
Recover Data: Easily repair the data from any previously backed up data source with the help of DPM console.
DPM(Data Protection Manager) is providing definite protection to the Windows environments like Exchange Server, SharePoint, SQL Server. With the appearance of Data Protection Manager in Exchange Server, the preconditions and benefits of deploying the Data Protection Manager in Exchange Server are also elaborated.